Re: re-learning markup sections

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: re-learning markup sections
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:49:58 +0100

The first 2 examples have some text (Acte I for the first, \null as null text for the second) and then a raise/lower command and then some more text.  So in each case, the second piece of text is raised or lowered with respect to the first piece.  So Scène 1  appears higher than Acte I.  \null would be at the normal position, and Très modéré is lowered with respect to it.  In the final example, there is nothing before Une forêt. and so there's nothing for it to be raised with respect to - in other words, there's nothing that forms the "anchor" for it's position to be changed with respect to.

\left-align puts all the text in the { } together on one line, left aligned.  \left-column puts each piece of text on a new line, left-aligned with respect to each other.  So \left-column { "The " "quick " "brown " } puts The on a line above quick which is on a line above brown.

--
Phil Holmes