Re: Snippets in mailinglist (Was: Re: bad cross-staff slurs)

From: James Lowe
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:37:59 +0100

Hello,

On 03/10/2010 13:36, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010, Phil Holmes wrote:

There were a couple of errors in the snippet you posted - the version
number should be in inverted commas "", and you
have "arpeggi" which I assume should be arpeggio.

I personally would prefer it if lilypond snippets and example code in
this mailinglist were posted as separate attachement(s) to the mail. I
then just simply can save the snippet to disk. Now I first have to copy
and paste the lilypond code in my text editor, and save it from there
before running lilypond on it.

What do other lilypond mailinglist readers think ? If many people agree,
we could encourage people to follow this practice.

1. Open Email
2. Read Email
3. Download attachment
4. Find/open attachment
5. Read in text editor. Spot Problem
6. Back to email to reply

as opposed to

1. Open Email
2. Read Email. Spot problem. Reply

If someone sends an ly file that is umpty-thrumpty lines long they do tend to attach them - generally. Which leads to the point where I follow my 6 steps above realise the example is simply too big for me to help with a trivial issue but I only realise that after I have downloaded the attachment.

I understand what you are getting at, but I am guessing if it is anything but trivial to see what users are asking for help on this list are then as many won't (probably) bother to download that attachment to help.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

James