Re: Chords below staff

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Chords below staff
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 22:04:46 -0600

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 03:59 +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 02:33 +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 07:24:45PM -0600, Colin Campbell wrote:
> >
> > I found I can move the chord symbols by moving the \chordmode block
> > before the \new Staff.  What puzzles me is the c 1*4 syntax; that I
> > can't get to produce anything.  In order to get 4 C notes, I had to
> > \repeat unfold 4 { c1 }
>
> c1*4 produces a note which is four times longer than c1
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Using this code:
\version "2.13.35"
\score {
  <<
  \new ChordNames \chordmode {
      c1 c1 c1 c1
      c1 c1 c1 c1
    }
    \new Staff  \relative c' {
      c1 e1 g1 c1
      c 1*4
    }
    \new Staff  \relative c' {
      c1 e1 g1 c1
      c\longa

I got the attached .PDF Seems to me that four times a whole note should
take up more bars than one, or at least look a whole (!) lot different
than the note to the left, IIUC it should be a longa, as in the second
staff.

Just curious is all!
Colin

> The whole note _is_ taking up more than one bar -- try adding a d8
> after the c1*4.  It'll be put after the 1+3 bars that the c1*4
> occupies.
>
> Note that this has nothing to do with *4; try doing
>   \time 1/16
>   c2
>   d16
> and you'll see a similar thing.  There's a special context
> called... err... NoteHeadAutoSplit ?  nope, that's totally
> wrong... anyway, that thing automatically splits notes that don't
> fit into a bar into tied stuff.  It'll be discussed somewhere in
> Notation 1.2 Rhythms.
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

I see what you're getting at, I just can't quite see why there is no
*visual* indication that c1*4 takes 4 bars. When I add the d8 as you
suggest, I get a whole note c, three bars of nothing at all, then the d
in bar 5. To a singer and budding cellist, that seems quite wrong.

Colin
---
Smart is when you believe only half of what you hear. Brilliant is when
you know which half to believe. - Robert Orben