Re: Chords below staff

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Chords below staff
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:16:34 -0600

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 05:11 +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:04:46PM -0600, Colin Campbell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 03:59 +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
> > > and you'll see a similar thing.  There's a special context
> > > called... err... NoteHeadAutoSplit ?  nope, that's totally
> > > wrong... anyway, that thing automatically splits notes that don't
> > > fit into a bar into tied stuff.  It'll be discussed somewhere in
> > > Notation 1.2 Rhythms.
> >
> > I see what you're getting at, I just can't quite see why there is no
> > *visual* indication that c1*4 takes 4 bars. When I add the d8 as you
> > suggest, I get a whole note c, three bars of nothing at all, then the d
> > in bar 5. To a singer and budding cellist, that seems quite wrong.
>
> Did you try looking in Notation 1.2 Rhythms for the splitting
> thing I mentioned?
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Got it, Graham:  I believe you are referring to the
Completion_heads_engraver, which sounds like it would have taken a note
occupying four bars and split it into four ties wholes.  That doesn't
seem to be the case here.

The answer seems to be in James Bailey's response, pointing me to NR
11.2.1 Scaling durations, which leads to Polymetric notation.

Thanks to you both, if not for completely clearing up the fog, then at
least for shining light in an interesting corner!

Colin
---
Smart is when you believe only half of what you hear. Brilliant is when
you know which half to believe. - Robert Orben