Re: Levelling sustain-pedal indications

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Levelling sustain-pedal indications
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:06:50 -0400

a-Ha!  pursuing -- thank you Keith!

Keith E OHara wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 00:51:11 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

In a piano page chock full of bracket-style pedalling for chords at
widely different pitch levels, I've managed to align the horizontal
pedalling lines vertically, via a zillion little paragraphs like

Pete,
You can put the pedal indications in their own separate row, which is placed as if it were a third staff. One of the snippets, <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=357>, defines an analog of Staff called Dynamics that can hold dynamics and pedaling, but does not print staff lines. The essence of it is below, plus a \remove statement to remove the pedaling indications from the regular Staffs, so you can try this out without much retyping. The leftHand part is included twice in the score block; the Staff prints the notes, while Dynamics just prints the pedal indications. People like this Dynamics context well enough that it will come standard in the next version of LilyPond. I like it for pedaling, but actually don't use it myself for dynamics, because putting dynamics all on the same horizontal line forces the left and right-hand staves too far apart for my taste.

leftHand = \relative c {
   c4\sustainOn b g\sustainOff e
   c4\sustainOn b g\sustainOff e
   c4\sustainOn b g\sustainOff e
   c4\sustainOn b g\sustainOff e
}
\score {
   \new PianoStaff <<
     \new Staff { s1*4 }
     \new Staff {
       \clef bass
       \leftHand
     }
     \new Dynamics {
       \set Dynamics.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
       \leftHand
     }
%{%}  >>
   \layout {