Re: Re : [Lyrics] Ignoring tie

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: Re : [Lyrics] Ignoring tie
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:01:47 +0100

Hi,

2010/11/11 Carlo Stemberger <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
> how can I obtain the correct syllabification?
>
> http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5413/schermataminuitchretien.png
>
> https://github.com/Stemby/open-
> scores/blob/master/AdamCantiqueDeNoel/minuit_chretiens.ly
>
> (see lines 95--97 and 156)

You have two options:
- specify syllabe durations manually, as described in Notation
Reference 2.1.3 "Manual Syllabe Durations"
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody#Manual-syllable-durations,
this way you can have ties where they are (but there will be some
problems with some syllabes being improperly left-aligned)
- do as Bill suggested: remove tie.

The second option is better because it is more logical: a tie means
that two notes should be merged and sound as one, but that's
impossible because singing two syllabes makes two sounds.
The situation is similar when there is a slur across some notes: the
slur means that the notes should "be performed without any perceptible
interruption between them" (music glossary 1.166), but if you sing
many syllabes over a slurred passage, there certainly will be
perceptible interruption between notes.

Note that this situation is different when /phrasing slur/ is used
(unfortunately phrasing slur looks exactly like a regular slur...).

Hope that helps,
Janek