making staves full of rests disappear in a full score

From: Frauke Jurgensen
Subject: making staves full of rests disappear in a full score
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:46:44 +0000

Hello all!

I have a large orchestral score, in which individual instruments at
times are resting for many pages. I would like these instruments to
disappear (those staves not to be shown) on systems where they have
nothing but rests.

The only way I can think of to do this, is to create a new staff at
the point where the instrument appears, and to do so each time.

Is there a less cumbersome way of doing this?

Regards,
Frauke