Re: Merging Rests in Single Staff with more than one 'voice'

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Merging Rests in Single Staff with more than one 'voice'
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:40:43 +0000

Hello

-----Original Message-----
From: Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:06:14 +0100
To: James Lowe <address@hidden>
Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>

>On 22 January 2011 18:52, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I don't often use multiple voices in a single staff, so am a bit
>> unfamiliar and am still finding my way.
>>
>> However I cannot easily see how I can take two 'voices' each from a
>>single
>> source such that when they are combined on a single staff the rests that
>> both voices share are only printed once.
>>
>> For example
>>

>> \musicSourceOne = { a4 b c d | R1*4 | a4 r b r2 }
>> \musicSourceTwo = { f4 r f r | R1*4 | f4 f g r2 }
>>
>> << \musicSourceOne // \musicSourceTwo >>
>>
>> Is about as basic as it gets.
>>
>> However in measures two and three both the Multimeasure rest and the r2
>> are printed for each voice.
>>
>> I looked for a merge-rest type function and the LSR but couldn't see an
>> easy way to do this without more complex editing.
>>
>> Did I miss something or am I going to have to make 'skips' in one voice
>> and manually position the r2 so it sits on the correct line 'as if' it
>> were only printed once in the other?
>
>Funny I just raised issue 1228 that has a pending PATCH for 5 months now
>http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1228
>
>Wilbert's PATCH (see attachment to comment #1) is actually an improved
>version of LSR #336 that handles merging of both normal rests and
>MultiMeasureRest.
>I asked to implement this feature directly into LilyPond, which is issue
>#1228 (that will be closed soon I hope).
>
>Normally it should work fine in your case, does it?

Ha!

Yes perfect, thank you.

I did get one 'programming error' initially

---snip---
Drawing systems...
programming error: unknown grob in dot col support
continuing, cross fingers
---snip---

It didn't affect my output - the rests were still merged. However I
couldn't work out where this was occurring to make a small enough snippet
to test.

But my construct of my main .ly file is

\version "2.13.40"

\include "merge-rests.ly"

Music1 = { .... } % this has the \mergeRestsOn set

Music2 = { .... }

Score {
  \relative c' {
    << { \Music1 } \\ { Music2 } >>

When I moved the \relative to each music expression such that

\include "merge-rests.ly"

Music1 = \relative c' { ... } % this has the \mergeRestsOn set

Music2 = \relative c' { ... }

Score {
  << { \Music1 } \\ { Music2 } >>
}

The error went away.

After I sorted out my relative notes (because I had moved the \relative it
caused a few notes to rearrange and needed some editing) I then couldn't
get the error even when I put back the \relative.

So I don't know if this something that can be easily diagnosed.

However, this is incredibly useful for me. Thanks Xavier!

I have added part of this email to the tracker for information.

James