Re: engraving question - slur across notes sung to different syllabes?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: engraving question - slur across notes sung to different syllabes?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 18:38:11 +0100 (CET)

> I'd use phrasing slur, however there's not much phrase to indicate
> with it...  Look at the slurs marked in red in the attachment - a
> phrasing slur for 2 notes?

Wearing my singers' coach hat, I'd say that the slurs have two
meanings:

  . They indicate a long first note and a shorter second note.

  . At the same time, they indicate that the first note is `heavier'
    or `more stressed' than the second; it feels like the first note
    should get a slight accent.

This kind of notation feels quite natural to me.

    Werner