Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:26:40 +1100

> It comes down to this: - new tool for composers.

It's also a tool for music teachers.  And I'd argue that that is as
important if not more so.    Human students do an awful lot of
interpretation of what they're told.  Robots can't.  So you have to
be explicit about more of your assumptions when teachign a robot to play.

Our robotic clarinet was designed so that we could understand what was
going on in the mouthpiece, the fingers, the vocal cavity, and the
interaction of all those with the reed, so that we could reproduce not
only beautiful music (which we managed I think) but also beginners'
mistakes.  When we can say what makes a particular combination of lip
pressure, tonguing and fingering `squeak' in that annoying way that
beginner (and some semi-pro) clarinettists have, we can work out how
to teach them not to.

Peter C
--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au