Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:15:58 -0400

Hi David,

>> Not at all, I thinkā€¦ and very useful.
> Obviously I disagree.

Obviously.  =)

> The trend seems more in the direction of understimulation to me.

Obviously, I disagree.  =)

Twenty (never mind fifty) years ago, we [apparently] didn't need:
    subwoofers at +10dB, and over-emphasized bass+drum hits, in order to "feel
the music";
    a visual cut every 4-5 seconds in a movie in order to stay focussed on the
film;
    high levels of compression and limiting in order to feel like an audio
recording was "full";
    etc. etc. etc.

These -- and other similar trends -- are a clear rebuke to your
"understimulation" hypothesis.

Of course, if you were referring to *mental* stimulation (i.e., higher than the
limbic brain), I agree with you 100%. But I'm talking about sensory stimulation
-- and the trend is clearly towards overstimulation.

Cheers,
Kieren.