Re: font use

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Re: font use
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:31:18 -0500

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:09:10 +0100
> From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
> To: "Fr. Michael Gilmary, mma" <address@hidden>,
>       <address@hidden>, "James Lowe" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: font use
>
> There have been a few reports of problems with fonts on Macs.  These seem all
> to be related to a GhostScript upgrade - I think an upgrade to 8.70?  Perhaps
> you're seeing a similar problem?

That font problem on Macs occurred when the OS was upgraded to OSX 10.6.7.  It
appears to be a problem in ATS, the Apple Type Server.  The OP reports that he
is using OSX 10.4.11, so I think it's unlikely that he has been affected by
this problem.

A lot of potential solutions to the Mac font problem have been proposed,
including:
  *  downgrading to OSX 10.6.6
  *  download a program called Onyx and using it to address the problem somehow
  *  clearing the font caches and restarting

I tried several of these solutions and didn't find that they solved the whole
problem.  The best I did was to have everything look ok except for the notehead
in a MM metronome marking.

A user has developed what looks like a good fix for the problem in OSX 10.6.7,
namely to replace the new ATS modules with the old, 10.6.6 modules.  I have
installed this fix on my MacPro, and find so far that it is effective and it
doesn't seem to have any undesirable side effects.

A pointer to the file in question is given here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2792142?threadID=2792142&start=304&tstart=0
 (you'll apparently be allowed into this secure site as a guest).  The file is:
 http://azlist.info/kj/support/fontfix10.6.7.zip.

Pat Karl