Re: font use

From: Fr. Michael Gilmary, mma
Subject: Re: font use
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:05:41 -0400

On Apr 27 AD 2011, at 10:31 AM, Patrick Karl wrote:

That font problem on Macs occurred when the OS was upgraded to OSX 10.6.7. It appears to be a problem in ATS, the Apple Type Server. The OP reports that he is using OSX 10.4.11, so I think it's unlikely that he has been affected by this problem.

Well, I've heard of other Mac upgrades that caused font problems (10.5 etc.) ... but that's not the problem here since we're sticking with Tiger for the foreseeable future.

A lot of potential solutions to the Mac font problem have been proposed, including:
  *  downgrading to OSX 10.6.6
* download a program called Onyx and using it to address the problem somehow
  *  clearing the font caches and restarting

I've run OnyX, etc. and it makes no difference with the problem here. Still no ligatures.

I tried several of these solutions and didn't find that they solved the whole problem. The best I did was to have everything look ok except for the notehead in a MM metronome marking.

Well, the curious thing here is that I use XeLaTeX all the time with Garamond Premier Pro and have had no problems handling the font features --- whatever I choose to load via the fontspec package (this for TL08, MacTeX09 and MacTeX10).

With Lilypond (or the Pango engine) something changed. Before I upgraded to 2.13 it rendered the common ligatures with Garamond PP or any other OT font by default ... I only needed the font name and it rendered the ligatures (and with Garamond PP, even the desirable optical size!). But no more.

So it seems to me (a non-geek) that the font handling has dropped the default behavior it had before. And the question remains: is there a work-around solution at present or will the whole thing be resolved in a fontspec-like font loading mechanism for 2.14 or later?

United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery
67 Dugway Road