Re: LilyPond to Finale :-(

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: LilyPond to Finale :-(
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2011 22:12:11 -0400

Oh, that sounds altogether too familiar. Being as fixated on clean
looking scores as I am Lilypond was the winner in my search for
clarity. I recently had a similar thing happen with a publisher, the
response of which it would be too much effort to make the conversion
to Finale. I could have found a relatively easy way to resubmit in
Finale, but thought it was a waste and complete regression of
standards. Basically, I see a score and know often as not if it was
set in Finale or Sibelius and those outputs really bother me. The most
curious thing about the whole situation was the editor I spoke with
who was pretty enthusiastic and a supporter of my endeavors was also
very proud of the fact that he had originally gotten his music
published because of his exceptionally clean hand. That amused me
since there is no way a hand written score could compete with the
output that is now possible, and I once had an exceptionally clear
hand too, but that was before computers were more than fancy
paperweights. Anyway, how idiotically stupid that anyone of use are
even discussing such editorial absurdities.

Shane