Re: fret diagrams for scales and arpeggios - using finger numbers as int

From: Jay Lee
Subject: Re: fret diagrams for scales and arpeggios - using finger numbers as intervals
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 04:23:16 +0000 (UTC)

Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen <at> byu.edu> writes:

> On 6/29/11 5:36 PM, "Jay Lee" <jkllee <at> mac.com> wrote:
>
> > LilyPonders,
> <SNIP>
> > I would like to be able to re-label the in-dot numbers to use 'b3' and 'b7'
> > instead of '3' and '7' for the flat-third and flat-seventh intervals
> > respectively, and to be able to use 'R' instead of '1' for the root.
> >
> > I don't think it's possible but if so, how do I do it?
> >

> It's quite easy.  Just use "R", "b3", and "b7" for the fingering in the
> verbose syntax.
>
> And if you want to used a lilypond flat symbol, you can do that as well.
> You'll need to make the fingering a lilypond markup.
>
> I guess we need to add something to the documentation indicating that the
> fingering in the verbose syntax can be a number, a string, or a lilypond
> markup.
>
> HTH,
>
> Carl

Oh! I just realised that when I tried it before I didn't use quote marks!

Do you have a snippet for using the flat symbol in the fingering markup? Or I'll
just experiment a bit and see what comes up.

Another question: What about open strings? Can I be the R b3 b7 type markup on
open strings? How?

Thanks so much,

Jay