Re: New LilyPond tutorial

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New LilyPond tutorial
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:16:03 +0200

Ben Luo <address@hidden> writes:

>     What's the license?
>
>     Interesting question. I thought about this a little bit, but didn't
>     find an answer.
>
>     * I don't want anybody to modify the text, but I gladly
>       incorporate useful enhancements, giving the respective credits.
>
>     * I don't want anybody to "redistribute" it in any form without
>       explicit consent.

All rights reserved.  If you are putting it on a website, this implies
permission to view it (and the source downloaded in the process), but
nothing else.

>     * I don't mind if anybody uses or modifies the source,
>       -> That's what such tutorials are meant for
>       but I don't want the sources redistributed either

You can't stop that anyway: that's covered by fair use once people
obtained a legitimate copy.

>     * An underlying problem is that the music used for the tutorial as
>     under full copyright.  I obtained the rights to use this example
>     in my tutorial for use on my web site, but any further use is
>     explicitely prohibited.  Maybe I'd be better off using music in
>     the public domain from the start.

I won't bother looking at material licensed in that manner, anyway.  So
depending on your prospective target audience, that might be a
reasonable move.  However, your other stated goals include not allowing
any reuse, either, so it is pretty much irrelevant.  But using freely
available examples, you at least would retain the option to change your
mind.

--
David Kastrup