Re: Lilypond lobbying?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Lilypond lobbying?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:23:46 -0400

Joseph (et al.),

> In Finale you see straight away if it's right or wrong.  In Lilypond you
> have to recompile each time.

More to the point, one of the reasons that Sibelius overtook Finale (to
whatever degree it has) was that the compile-to-preview times were shorter: in
Finale, a large score took "several seconds", whereas in Sibelius is was
"instantaneous" (or so the marketing went).

In other words, we're not even fighting a "my opera takes five minutes to
compile where thirty seconds would be okay" issue — we're looking at "I want to
see it RIGHT NOW".

Cheers,
Kieren.