Re: position of dots

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: position of dots
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 09:33:30 +0100 (CET)

>> Good idea, thanks, but this completely prevents alignment of dots.
>
> No no, dots in a chord, within one voice, are still aligned.

OK.

> Remember that dots are not supposed to be aligned between separate
> voices[1].

Interesting.  However, if the dots' distances are not too far away
from the stem, the excellent Bärenreiter edition of the Bach Chaconne
*does* align them, even if they are in different voices.  Note that
this is a manually engraved edition from 1959 or so.

> LilyPond is wrong to align dots from different voices, but doing so
> helps her handle the cases where note-heads collide between
> opposite-stemmed voices.
>
> If you are still working on the Bach Partita, then to my eyes
> Dot_columns for each voice gives a *much* better result.

Yes, the result is better.

> Dots move to avoid collisions, with stems, but need some help to
> avoid flags.

Yes, but much more annoying are situations as shown in the attached
image.  There's plenty of horizontal space between the stems to
properly put a dot inbetween, but the padding of stems and the dot
itself apparently prevents this.

Something different: I seem to recall that I've seen images sent to
`lilypond-user' or `lilypond-devel' which show coloured bounding boxes
of grobs.  However, I don't find related posts.  It would be great if
we could have a `-ddebug-bboxes' option which does that, possibly
providing options to include and exclude padding of grobs.

    Werner

PNG image