Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on Li

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on LilyPond
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 23:04:35 +0100

2012/2/9 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:

> Not sure if i understand correctly how Kickstarter works, but what
> about a project for creating a free typeset edition of some famous
> piece (like Mozart's Requiem)?  The funds would be split between
> typesetter and programmer who implements necessary features.  I could
> do the typesetting part.

And if you add a musician that would do a recording of the piece and
release it for free (as in "free software", not only "free beer")
you would obtain something like the "Open Goldberg Variations" project.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293573191/open-goldberg-variations-setting-bach-free
There it's MuseScore that is used as typesetting software.
http://musescore.org/en/node/10118

There is also the idea of a "LilyPond score sharing website", similar
to musescore.com .  http://musescore.com/upgrade

As I said: "IIRC lasconic (Nicolas Froment) said the 3 main developers
of MuseScore (Werner Schweer, Thomas Bonte and himself) are now working
full-time on MuseScore" [thanks to their "fundings"].

Several users/contributers, including Janek, showed some interest in
a "MuseScore-LilyPond synergy".  BTW I have read that there is a project
of "Smart coupling" between Audiveris (open-source Optical Music
Recognition) and MuseScore.
http://fosdem.org/2012/schedule/event/audiveris
A kind of "synergy" (in both directions) between the file format of
musescore and .ly would also allow a conversion
musicxml <-> musescore <-> .ly .  Don't know if that would be "easy"
though.

I sent an e-mail to lasconic to have further informations about all I
say (all I "kind of remember").

Cheers,
Xavier

--