Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on Li

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Thinking about putting together a grant to support development on LilyPond
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:11:22 +0100

2012/2/10 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> - Sergei Rachmaninoff died in March 1943.  If we start a year-long
>> project now, we will finish roughly when most of his works will fall
>> out of copyright.
>
> How would one cooperate while they are not yet out of copyright?  Want
> to risk having your servers seized?

Typesetting can be done by one person.  Developer(s) enrolled in such
a project will receive privately only snippets from the work (->
quotation and fair use).  Or all testing would be done by the
typesetter; not hard to do.
Sure, it's not the best way to work, and if appropriate composition
from a longer-dead composer is found, we better do it instead and wait
with Rachmaninoff
till 2013.

2012/2/10 Rodolfo Zitellini <address@hidden>:
> There are loads of music up to the 20th century that wait to be
> published in a good edition, but I think the kikstarter was so
> successful mostly because the Goldbergs are a quite popular and
> famous.

For this very reason i'm sure that we should limit ourselves to the
greatest composers only.  A name instantly recognizable to anyone,
even the musically ignorant, would be best: Mozart, Bach, Beethoven,
Handel.

cheers,
Janek