Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port

From: Frank Wuest
Subject: Re: lilypond 2.15.33 available as a FreeBSD port
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:53:32 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

Von: Graham Percival <address@hidden>

>Technical reasons?  not many.  Cultural reasons?  they don't like
>binaries.

Actually, there are two significant technical reasons: the official FreeBSD
packages are usually
a bit behind on updates, and if you're running an older version of FreeBSD,
packages may
simply no longer be available.

>dependencies), but require a non-standardized way to install (i.e.
>the shell script) and uninstall (i.e. the uninstall-lilypond
>script) lilypond.

Other ports do that as well, Opera would be one of them. Granted, that one is
more of a
binary installation wrapped up in a port. Still, using ports vs. packages might
result in a different
version being installed :-o

As for me, I was glad the official port was switched from the development
branch to the stable branch
some time ago. After all, the development version may contain a critical bug
that you won't know
about unless you're reading some of the mailing lists.

As a sidenote: I did initially install Lilypond from ports while it was still
building the devel
version. I then encountered the user error regarding the \relative command I
asked
about some time ago. That made me try to install the FreeBSD source package
that was
offered at the time, but couldn't get it to work as per the instructions. I
worked around this
by combining the stable sources with the devel makefile :->

Regards,
Frank