Re: Instrument Name in oddHeaderMarkup position

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Instrument Name in oddHeaderMarkup position
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 15:57:32 +0200

Am 4. April 2012 15:20 schrieb Mark Mathias <address@hidden>:
> I would like to place the Instrument Name on the first page only in the
> position occupied by the oddHeaderMarkup. LilyPond's convention for the
> Instrument Name is to place it below the Title. This may be standard for
> professional-level music, but educational orchestra music normally places
> the Instrument Name in the upper left corner in large letters. Subsequent
> pages usually abbreviate the name, often placing it in much smaller type
> along with the page number.
>
> So, I'd like to either use the oddHeaderMarkup command and turn off the
> oddHeaderMarkup for following pages, or use a different command (\markup, I
> assume) to accomplish the same result. The manual no doubt shows how to do
> this, but the clues are not pulled together in one place that I can get to
> work. Perhaps yet another example of a newbie wrestling LilyPond's enormous
> power and complexity.

Hi Mark,

perhaps you may want to try:

\version "2.15.35"

\header {

title = "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"

composer = "J. S. Bach"

myInstrument = "Violin I"

}

\paper {

        oddHeaderMarkup = \markup
        \fill-line {
          " "
          \on-the-fly #not-first-page \fromproperty #'header:myInstrument
          \on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first \fromproperty
#'page:page-number-string
        }

        evenHeaderMarkup = \markup
        \fill-line {
          \on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first \fromproperty
#'page:page-number-string
          \on-the-fly #not-first-page \fromproperty #'header:myInstrument
          " "
        }

        bookTitleMarkup = \markup {
                \column {
                        \box { \pad-markup #1 \fromproperty
#'header:myInstrument }
                        \bookTitleMarkup

\relative c' { \repeat unfold 50 { c'1 \break } }

Please note:
I newly introduced myInstrument into the header to avoid a complete
new-definition of bookTitleMarkup.
But now you can't use the old `instrument'-variable any more. If you
do so, a second `instrument'-markup will be printed.

HTH,
  Harm