hideNotes in tablature

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: hideNotes in tablature
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 11:57:46 +0200

Hi,

I started using version 2.13.56 and I realized that this bug seems fixed:

As hideNotes/unHideNotes work fine in TabStaff now, I'm thinking that it would be nice to add a TabNoteHead override/revert in their definitions in property-init.ly

Two years ago Marc expressed some concern about including TabNoteHead inside hideNotes/unHideNotes, because unHideNotes reverts the transparency of objects (such as stems and dots) that shouldn't be displayed in TabStaff:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-01/msg00634.html

I've made some tests and I think that there's no reason for such a concern. Everything looks fine to me (see the attached snippet).
Sure, I'm missing something :)

I believe that we don't need a specific command for hiding TabNoteHead.
I always use Staff and TabStaff: both should display (or hide) the same music, I can't imagine a situation where I'd like to hide a note in Staff and not in TabStaff.

What do you think about it?