Re: seeking tips for transcribing a modernist score

From: Justin Glenn Smith
Subject: Re: seeking tips for transcribing a modernist score
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 09:19:09 -0700

Thanks for your suggestions, they should help me quite a bit.

On 05/05/2012 07:07 AM, address@hidden wrote:
On 4 mai 2012, at 19:45, Justin Glenn Smith wrote:

As a personal exercise I am attempting to reproduce a printed score from an
ex-teacher. I have encountered a few difficulties for which I would appreciate
suggestions.

Notes have an explicit accidental even for natural (similar to the dodecaphonic
accidentals style), but only for their first use in each measure (this is
actually a style I have seen in other places too, for example a Xenakis String
quartet I was studying). I looked at the scheme code for defining accidental
styles (I have programmed in scheme before), but I figured I would ask here for
tips or on the off chance someone has already defined this before attempting to
define a new accidental style. Of course I can continue using ! to force
naturals as appropriate, so this is a low priority issue (more an annoyance in
a large score than anything else).

This is a bit thorny...you have to code it yourself.  Check out
scm/music-functions.scm for inspiration.

I am having problems with a single measure in 8/6 time. Lilypond complains that it is a
strange time signature (which it indeed is), and I cannot get a bar check to work
properly (I am doing bar checks for every measure and bar number checks for each numbered
bar to help make sure I am following the written score). In other cases where the bar
check did not work (where a "whole note" rest meant a whole measure regardless
of measure length, or a measure had a missing beat) I would use s (invisible notes) in
order to duplicate the appearance of the original score (never sure whether the issue was
an error or an idiom /experiment of some sort that is unfamiliar to me). Is there a way
to do 8/6 without nesting it in \cadenzaOn and \cadenzaOff commands?

If you don't have notes that end at the end of the measure, the bar check will
fail, but otherwise it will succeed.

{
   \time 41/42
   \repeat unfold 40 { b1*41/42 | }
}

I was trying every combination of dotted rests and subdivision of rests but not
getting anything that lilypond thought was a real bar (not to mention the
actual notation I was working from). The * trick looks useful, thanks.

If you want to scale values into a bar, you can use the technique shown above.

Relatedly, there is a rest notated as a half rest with the number 5 above it and the
number 6 below it, which seems from context does indeed seem to be a rest of 5 "6th
notes" - I am assuming I just need to directly tell lilypond to display the symbols
using markup commands and use either candenza or s invisible notes to make the measure
work? If I had written the score I would have just done a tempo change (which seems much
more sane), but I am attempting to recreate an existing document.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.  A picture is worth a thousand words,
though - if I see it, I can give you better information.

Cheers,
MS

attached is a photo of the bizarre measure in question (it also shows my follow
up question, the pair of triplets containing a note that is a member of both
triplets)