RE: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear

From: Philip Thomas
Subject: RE: Opening parentheses in lyrics don't appear
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 17:46:41 +0200

> Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote (11 Jun 2012 14:46:31):

> It was mentioned in earlier emails (as in lots of years ago) as a possible
> bug, since you can't have slurs in lyrics.

----------

Aha. Not a solution, but I now have a better feel for the problem.

----------

> I think I'll send a report to
> the bugs group.

--------------------

I think it would be good to have a simple solution for something which must
arise reasonably often, but I'm most certainly no developer.

--------------------

> Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> wrote (Jun 2012 15:48:45):
> you might use markup-lists. In markups, the parens are typeset:
>
> --snip--
>
> \version "2.15.40"
>
> % should run in 2.14
>
> % define a music-function, to convert a markup-list to a list of
LyricEvents

--------------------

> Eluze <address@hidden> wrote (Jun 2012 06:57:36):

> you can use text-replacements, see NR 3.3.3 Special characters. ASCII
> aliases
>
> it's described there how to add your own characters, e.g.
>
> \paper {
>   #(add-text-replacements!
>     '(
> }
>
> I don't know if its really elegant!?

Many thanks Jan-Peter and Eluze. I think on balance that, unless and until a
more simple solution appears, I might as well stick to "(word" for the time
being.

Cheers, Phil