Re: xpdf won't show lily's PDF file

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: xpdf won't show lily's PDF file
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:38:50 -0400

    David> Laura Conrad <address@hidden> writes:
    >> My system in currently in dependency hell, so I'm sure this isn't either
    >> a lilypond problem or an xpdf problem, but an  ubuntu package manager
    >> problem.  (If anyone tells you ubuntu has 32-bit executables installing
    >> seamlessly on a 64-bit system, they haven't tested it much.)
    >>
    >> But if someone knows off the top of their heads why evince and gv can
    >> read the lilypond output with no problem, but xpdf comes up and then
    >> gives pages and pages of errors like:

    >> and then segfaults, it might help me fix the dependency problem.

    David> That's not a dependency problem, and it is not a LilyPond problem.
xpdf
    David> will segfault on any PDF file.  Install an older dpkg package (I have
    David> 3.02-21 I think, the Ubuntu one has a slightly different number) and
    David> mark it as holded.  Don't ask me why Ubuntu considers providing a
    David> segfaulting binary a good idea.

Thanks.  I had to also install and hold older versions of libpoppler13
and libjpeg62, but I do have a working xpdf now.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I gave Cuellar more chances than my first wife.

Hall of Fame Orioles manager Earl Weaver, after he stuck with lefty
Mike Cuellar way too long, finally pulling him out of the rotation
only to have Cuellar complain about losing his spot.