Re: Possible feature request for 'q' shorthand or tie syntax

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Possible feature request for 'q' shorthand or tie syntax
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:58:05 +0200

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/9/21 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> There is no concept of "concatenation" involved here.  Spaces are not
>> significant between separate syntactic elements.  Not even in lyrics.
>> If you write
>> xxx="text"
>> then \lyricmode{\xxx\xxx} and \lyricmode { \xxx \xxx } are both
>> equivalent to \lyricmode { text text } or \lyricmode{text   text}.
>
> I think not. E.g. is really
>
>   xxx="text"
>   tenorLyrics = \lyricmode{\xxx}
>
> valid? I can not get it to work.

That is a different bug actually.

xxx=\markup \italic "text"
tenorLyrics = \lyricmode{\xxx}

works fine.  The spaces have nothing to do with it.

> Or
>
>   \new Lyrics  \lyricmode{text   text}
>
> Which is also not valid because "text}" is a syllable itself.

You are correct with that: I was confusing markups with lyrics here.  It
does not make all that much sense to me that these have different
conventions, but you are right that they do.

--
David Kastrup