Re: how to call these notes?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: how to call these notes?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:44:31 +0200

On 16 Oct 2012, at 19:20, David Rogers wrote:

> I don't have any of the engraving manuals - what is this note called
> in those books? It would probably be better to go along with the
> "industry standard name", even if that name turns out not to be
> perfect.

The Harvard Concise says that originally (c. 1675-1725), acciaccatura was the
crush, but it did not have a special notation. The others are all called
appoggiatura. The slashed grace note notation was invented in the 19th century,
and some came to incorrectly call them acciaccatura. Lilypond propagates this
misconception with \acciaccatura.

Hans