Script objects avoid notes in other voices?

From: Daniel Rosen
Subject: Script objects avoid notes in other voices?
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:32:27 +0000

I'm trying to create a score and parts for a piece. I want to have bow markings in the string parts but not the score, so I'm trying to put them in a voice separate from the notes (ex. 1):

\version "2.16.0"

music = \relative c'' {

  <b g'> <d d,>

}

bowing = {

  s\upbow s\downbow

}

{

  \new Staff

  <<

    \new Voice { \music }

    \new Voice { \bowing }

}

My issue is that, when I compile the part, the bow markings don't automatically avoid the notes in the other voice. Is there some way to get it to look more like this (ex. 2)?

\version "2.16.0"

{ \relative c'' { <b g'>\upbow <d d,>\downbow } }

Perhaps a property of Script that can be overridden?

Thanks!

DR