Re: exact dimenions of pdf/png

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: exact dimenions of pdf/png
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:14:21 +0100

Peter Van Kranenburg <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/29/12 6:13 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> writing
>> \paper { paper-width=110\mm }
>> \score { { c4 c4 c4 c4 } }
>> and using
>> lilypond -dresolution=1200 --png
>> I get an image with 5197 pixels width, which is to a pixel exactly what
>> was demanded.  So perhaps you need to check what throws a spanner in
>> your works, starting from a simple paper definition.
>>

> Thank you for your suggestion.
>
> Invoking 'lilypond -dresolution=1200 --png' results in the right
> dimensions, indeed. Thanks. I will use this. The image is not cropped
> automatically, so I now have to tune the page-height as well. And I
> have to set a small margin for the curly bracket of the
> PianoStaff. Otherwise it would be off the page.
>
> The usage manual however (section 4.4) tells me to do this:
> lilypond -dbackend=eps -dno-gs-load-fonts -dinclude-eps-fonts --png
> -dresolution=1200 figure.ly
> That results in a png that is too wide. There seems another mechanism
> at work to determine size of resulting image. Cropping?

I seem to remember some slop added for the sake of the manual or
something.  Werner?

I have no idea why the more complex options would be recommended here:
when converting to PNG anyhow, it would seem quite irrelevant to me
which fonts are getting embedded or not in the intermediate EPS file.

--
David Kastrup