Re: fingerings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: fingerings
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:55:16 +0100

Eluze <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas Morley wrote
>> Try:
>>
>> \version "2.16.0"
>>
>> {
>>   c'' d''-4 e''-\tweak ParenthesesItem #'font-size #-2 -\parenthesize -4
>> c''-4
>> }
>
> sorry - I always forget to check if my solutions work in the version the
> user indicated (and I'm most often on the newest development version, 2.17.7
> actually)
>
> but I'm amazed by this newest version:
>
> you can write the fingering (for example) /before/ the note, if you use a
> \tweak (/without a hyphen/)

That is more or less a historical accident slated to go eventually.  It
depends on
a) A tweaked fingering not being recognized as a postevent without -
b) the old fingering engraver combining simultaneous music events
   without requiring the articulation to be set in the note

I hope that by 2.18 this will be gone.

> or - as it used to be - you can write it afterwards /with a hyphen/
> (or a direction indicator /_,^/) - wooooowww!

By 2.18 this should work without the additional - before \tweak.
Meaning that a tweaked articulation will behave like an articulation
always, without requiring further hints to the parser.

Probably less cause for amazement than the current behavior, but I'd
consider that a good thing.

--
David Kastrup