Re: Trying once more.

From: Gerard McConnell
Subject: Re: Trying once more.
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:00:13 +0000

I haven't tried this, but it seems to me that the relevant snippet is likely to be:

Suppressing warnings for clashing note columns

If notes from two voices with stems in the same direction are placed at the same position, and both voices have no shift or the same shift specified, the error message ‘warning: ignoring too many clashing note columns’ will appear when compiling the LilyPond file. This message can be suppressed by setting the 'ignore-collision property of the NoteColumn object to #t. Please note that this does not just suppress warnings but stops LilyPond trying to resolve collisions at all and so may have unintended results unless used with care.

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
2012/12/8 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>

> Have you tried
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-keyboards#cross_002dstaff-stems
> ?
>
> --
> Phil Holmes

Hi,

for writing chords, with different NoteHeads I'd use
\tweak #'duration-log #...
in the chord.

But it does not work in all cases with cross-stems:
If the lowest note of a upper chord is tweaked the cross-staff-stem disappears.

I added a workaround. But it is a _very_ _poor_ one.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.17.6"

> \relative c' {\displayMusic
        %% First chord
        <
         \tweak #'duration-log #2 g
        >2

        %% second chord
        <
         \tweak #'duration-log #2 e
        >2

        %% third chord
        %% cross-staff-stem doesn't work
        <
         \tweak #'duration-log #2 c
        >2
}

workaround =
\relative c' {

        %% Very poor workaround
        \startStaff
        \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'ledger-extra = #-1
        \stopStaff
        <
         \tweak #'transparent ##t a
         \tweak #'duration-log #2 c
        >2
        \startStaff
        \revert Staff.StaffSymbol #'ledger-extra
        \stopStaff
}

two =
\relative c {
        \voiceOne
        \clef bass
}

%% Single-staff-chords work with \tweak #'duration-log
\new Staff \one

%% cross-staff-stems doesn't work in all cases,
\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff { \one\workaround }
    \new Staff \two