Re: Grace note spacing and barcheck difficulty in bagpipe music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Grace note spacing and barcheck difficulty in bagpipe music
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:54:51 +0100

Ben Beeson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have been struggling with how to get harmonies to align with the main
> line of a tune when inputting "seconds" for bagpipe music.  The goal is
> to get the main tune on one staff with the seconds on a separate staff.
> I also want the seconds aligned with the main tune in the other staff.
> Most of the time this works the way it should in that you enter the
> music and all is well. The problem occurs when one part of the tune
> starts with a different length of grace note embellishment from the
> other part.

Then don't do this.  Pad all starting graces with spacer rests (like s8)
to have the same length, if necessary, adding just \grace { s8. }.  It
is a problem documented in the manual, and is one of the earliest
standing issues in the bug tracker, the infamous issue 34
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=34>.

--
David Kastrup