Re: Best practices in lyric typesetting

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Re: Best practices in lyric typesetting
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:19:57 +0100

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Actually, singers don't like such things.  It interferes with their
> pitch sense.
>
> I think the "Carmina Burana" has some piece for a bass or baritone
> falsettist and it is written in $#!! bass clef, with oodles of ledger
> lines.  No idea how anybody is going to figure out just where in the
> scale he is currently singing.

We recently had a song where there were at least 10 (!) switches
between the choir being notated on 4 and 2 staffs, and the cleff for
the tenor (my voice...) changing from G (luckily not G_8 or G^8) to F,
and back again. You bet I complained! Did that help? Nope...

I'm _still_ trying to get my conductor to switch to Lilypond, but alas...

Christ van Willegen
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0