Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 12:29:15 +0100

Am 07.01.2013 12:09, schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
Am 2013-01-07 um 10:14 schrieb Urs Liska:

I'd like to collect some suggestion for a replacement font for Century
Schoolbook.
So (to finally get to the point) I'd be happy about suggestions for good free
text fonts to use with LilyPond.
They should be well equipped in terms of language support and have a good array
of weights and spacings.
Hi Urs,
I nearly always use TeX Gyre Schola for the lyrics in my lead sheets and
songbooklets - mostly the same as Century Schoolbook, because it’s very good
readable even under bad light conditions.
Other Open Source fonts I like very much are e.g. Gentium, Antykwa Toruńska and
TeX Gyre Pagella (Palatino), but I wouldn’t recommend them for lyrics.
Thanks for the hints, I will look into them (although you're right they aren't very good for lyrics).
Antykwa Toruńska looks nice (I knew the other ones already).
And I found Antykwa Półtawskiego on that page, which has plenty of weights. I will try this one out and see how it looks in the score context.

Best
Urs
The only Open Source fonts with several weights that I would recommend, is TeX
Latin Modern, even if it looks rather old fashioned; but I like the sans serif,
e.g. for chord names.

http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/latin-modern
http://scripts.sil.org/Gentium