Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:31:20 +0100

Am 07.01.2013 15:01, schrieb Peter Crighton:
Could you explain to me why you think Gentium isn’t suitable for
lyrics? I’m using it (Gentium Book Basic) for my lyrics and am quite
satisfied with it:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/radiant_records/Sing+it+High+Songbook/Sing+It+High+Sample.pdf
But maybe I’m missing some important issues … I’m not that much of a
typographer.
Gentium looks fine, and your example looks fine.
But the letters are quite wide in this font, and you wouldn't be able to achieve any tighter horizontal spacing than you have. In your example this isn't a problem, mainly because you have only the melody and the corresponding lyrics. But if you had another staff with an accompaniment it could become somewhat awkward. Therefore I'd prefer a font family that has 'condensed' variant. If it also had 'medium' and 'semibold' variants, one could probably find a version that perfectly suits the visual appearance of the score.

I hope this makes sense ...

Best
Urs

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de