Re: Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Streamlining my thoughts on the clarinet woodwind-diagrams
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:33:18 +0100

On 02/07/2013 09:22 PM, Wim van Dommelen wrote:
Mmmh, that (lh . (gis)) is already taken for the upper key, using the same, not
completly describing name will again confuse others.

OK, fair enough, clarinet-lh-low-gis is better, then.

I'd use clarinet-full-boehm as the name for the clarinet with low ees, and
make bass-clarinet an alias for that (or else, bass-clarinet is the full-boehm
instrument plus the "hole").
The regular (soprano-)clarinet doesn't have a low-ees, so that order will not
work.

The regular one doesn't, the full-Boehm instrument does.  See e.g. this example:
http://www.clarinetsdirect.biz/RC-F279670.html

Compatibility in the name?

Fair enough. :-)

Yeah, but they (BC and S) have similar models running only to the low ees, same
series, same name, matching the regular stencil, not the low. So which confusion
is "better" explained.

OK, fair enough again.

Question: how do you translate the bass clarinet diagrams into key-name
diagrams?
I don't understand the complete question. Is that something other than the
result you get with (the already present) \override #'(graphical . #f) as stated
in the reference manual?

No, I don't mean "how" as in how does one request the override, I mean, what is your spec for what should appear?

Isn't a chicken-and-egg combination? I spoke to my teacher today and she got the
question of a composer "tell me what is possible?" as opposed to someone writing
down something and the player having to find out how to do it. As the key
corrects the lowest f (of a soprano-clarinet), it will probably not
used/prescribed. But if some effect, whatever can be done with it, someone will
use it sometime.

But it is a little (much) too far, I agee.

Maybe, but it's probably best to get to the point of someone requesting it before it gets implemented.

That is not that easy, it is not ly-code, but Scheme code and tougher (more and
more stacked upon another) as I expected. The basic files involved are together
already 3200 lines (some are comments, but 90% is code :-).

!