Re: A must-see for anybody on this list

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: A must-see for anybody on this list
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:23:09 -0500

   The hand engraving was amazing. It makes you wonder what sort of metal exactly the plates are. I liked the "I don't make mistakes" quote.
   Is it possible that program was an in house adaptation of Music Tex or one of the others?

Shane

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 2013-02-10 um 21:18 schrieb address@hidden:

> I assumed SCORE, too, but this would imply Sibelius if that was Henle we were looking at in the second video:
>
> http://www.sibeliusblog.com/meta/henles-music-engraving-video/
>
> Also, Sibelius keyboard input does bear a number of similarities with LilyPond input syntax.

Ah, sorry, I didn’t know Sibelius had a text mode.
I found references that implied Henle used SCORE (but can’t find them again).

But I didn’t pay attention to some important details:
- The video is from 1997.
- The desktop is X/Motif (or similar), not Windows 3.1.
- The operator uses MIDI keyboard input.

So it’s probably MusicTeX or an early MusiXTeX.
LilyPond wasn’t released before 1998.

Ah, but Sibelius started 1986 on Acorn RISC OS, and released in 1993. The last Sibelius version for Acorn was in 1998.
We can’t see the computer in the video. The different screenshots of RISC OS that I found don’t resemble that in the video, but are close enough that it might be possible.

Neither with MusiXTeX nor with Sibelius I could find a reference to MIDI keyboard input.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm