Re: A must-see for anybody on this list

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: A must-see for anybody on this list
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:26:56 +1100

On 11 February 2013 10:23, Shane Brandes <address@hidden> wrote:

>    The hand engraving was amazing. I liked the "I don't make mistakes" quote.
>
> Shane

I never thought much about how music used to be engraved, but when I
did there were always more questions than answers.

I’m surprised how close it was to writing out music by hand. With a
strong style guide and engravers with decades of experience, it’s not
surprising they waited a while for typesetting software to catch up.

> It makes you wonder what sort of metal exactly the plates are.

According to
http://musicprintinghistory.org/music-engraving/about-music-engraving.html
, zinc, copper or pewter.

Vaughan