Re: A must-see for anybody on this list

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: A must-see for anybody on this list
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:11:43 +0100

Indeed, inspiring. Remembers me of a museum in Kopenhagen (mmmhh, forgot the name) I once visited where they have a small exhibition of these tools. Impressing.

I was a little upset when I read "they decided to disperse the collection", but it is true, I've contacted them and you can indeed buy a random plate, or one from a set which is currently "processed". I decided to order one for myself, just to have one and mount it somewhere on one of my wall. Don't know if I'll see any chance for this later on. I view it as a collectors item.

Other question on the composition materials: in the video there was indeed mentioning of a "blei pencil", that is indeed a lead (Pb) pencil to draw lines. Lead is soft enough to do that. But it is too soft to act as a material to form the base for a printing plate (it would be crushed on the first run), therefore an alloy is made to get the right hardness, see e.g.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_metal for a discussion on this.

The plates shown themselves are composed of an alloy of: lead (Pb), Antimoon (Sb) and Zinc (Zn). Confirmed by Henle.

Regards,
Wim.