RE: Footnotes to lyrics

From: Daniel Rosen
Subject: RE: Footnotes to lyrics
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:32:24 +0000

Correct.

> Then the next thing to try would likely be writing \default before Lyrics
> (to tell LilyPond that one really, really, really wants to skip the
> specification of
> a grob if I remember the 2.16 arguments correctly).

The file compiles when I try this, but no footnote shows up. This syntax:

\version "2.16.1"
<<
  \new Voice = "voice" { c' d' e' f' }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" { \footnote #'(1 . 1) "footnote" \default
"Lyric" }

yields this error:

warning: \footnote requires music or grob-name
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" {
                                  \footnote #'(1 . 1) "footnote" \default
"Lyric" }

> I remember that tweaks/overrides and the related footnotes were a bit
> tricky in Lyrics mode.
>
> It would likely look better to use the footnote commands available inside of
> markup, but I think that the footnote texts did not make it to the page then.

I'm guessing you're referring to the \auto-footnote markup command. That would
indeed look better, but you're right--the output was identical to that of the
example above, with no annotation showing up. This syntax:

\version "2.16.1"
<<
  \new Voice = "voice" { c' d' e' f' }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" { \markup { \auto-footnote "Lyric" "footnote" }
}

yielded this error:

programming error: Cannot find correct footnote for a markup object.
continuing, cross fingers