Re: Bar lines

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Bar lines
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 23:18:06 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:
>> No – I still would prefer if LilyPond draws the final bar line without
>> having to explicitely tell her.
>
> Take a look at
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/writing-pitches>
>
> I really would not like to have to tell LilyPond for every single
> fragment to not use a final bar line.

Could you explain what you didn't like in my suggestion that said "if
the music is more than 3 bars long, use a "|." barline; if it's 3 or
less use a "|" barline"?  I think that it quite nicely addresses the
problem you pointed out above.

best,
Janek

PS concerning the dot in bar strings, there is one more reason why i'd
prefer not to use it for thick barline: i'd like to use it for dotted
barline.  Currently dotted barline is ";" and dashed barline is "!".
It would be much more user-friendly and intuitive if dotter barline
was "." and dashed barline ",".