Re: midi micro tuning / Midi calibration

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: midi micro tuning / Midi calibration
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 09:45:40 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013, David Kastrup wrote:

Midi, itself, is tuned in 440 and equal.

Midi, itself, is not tuned at all.

However, there's a function
known as "pitch bend" in midi parlance,  that works on some, but not all,

That's one way to do it. Make sure to set this for each of the Midi channels that you need.

I was sort of amazed - Midi being such a simple (so I imagined) format,
I thought that the calibration to 440 should be a mere variable, easy to
be adjusted. There's always more to it than it seems ...

Tuning is not really well standardized in Midi.  Midi is focused on
discrete notes, so the probability is quite high that the easiest way to
deal with 442Hz tuning is to look at your Midi playing facility.

There are some "standards", but they will not always work.

Pitchbend probably has the largest support on hard- and software synths.
But it was not really meant to play a complete score in a different tuning. It was invented - like the name implies - to temporarily bend pitches, and then return to the normal tuning again. For synthplayers who always wanted to be a guitar hero but never learnt to play the guitar ;-)

But there is also this method:
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/ca25.pdf

and this:
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midituning.php
http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/MIDItuning.html

The specs are there, but they are not always supported.

The easiest way: play your MIDI file on a hardware synth or soundmodule and just push some buttons or turn a knob on the hardware to get the tuning right.

--

MT