Re: \relative is not the best way of entering complicated music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \relative is not the best way of entering complicated music
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:56:19 +0100

Sarah k Alawami <address@hidden> writes:

>  I actually tried the let's say e='t or how ever the docs were
> written. I don't have them up at the moment and it failed with unknown
> rhythm. Iactually meant e5 on the piano. so how would have I fixed
> this if I had if I remember
>
> [relative c'' for middle c if I remember that to and i place an e='5
> in the block 5 measures down? so I know that's the pitch I want?

LilyPond does not relate to American (or "scientific") pitch notation,
to the degree where it goes unmentioned in standard documentation or
even glossary.  This is arguably a rather glaring omission.

> The book said it would correct it if it was wrong but it just through
> up an error saying unknown rhythm.

LilyPond never uses numbers for pitches, so what you should have written
was e='' (c' is C4, so e'' is E5).

--
David Kastrup