Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Repeated accidental after tie across line break
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:31:08 -0400

Hi,

1. Without a "tied-to" accidental, "starting at the beginning of the
system" (e.g.) will almost certainly lead to confusion or errors;

What makes you think so?
Actually I instinctively thought the opposite.
If I were to see such a note while sightreading I'm almost certain I'd
misinterprete the tie for a slur.

What note is this:

This screenshot only shows the second system. Here's the actual Lilypond code:

\version "2.17"
\language "english"

\score {
  \relative c'' {
    \override Accidental.hide-tied-accidental-after-break = ##t
    \key a \major
    c1 ~ \break c

It's a C-natural!!!  =)

By hiding the accidental after the break, I introduce [unnecessary] ambiguity at the beginning of the system, which can only be resolved by looking backwards to the end of the last system — it is precisely for this reason that Gould (and many others) suggest repeating the accidental after a line break.

Best,
Kieren.