Re: Question about left-aligning syllables at beginning of lines

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Question about left-aligning syllables at beginning of lines
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 18:33:50 +0200

2013/4/9 Carl Peterson <address@hidden>:
> As I mentioned in another thread, I'm working on a hymnal/psalter project
> and ideally would like to justify both the left and right edges of each line
> of lyrics.

Interesting.  I don't quite see why you would want that - i'd have to
see a picture.
Anyway, i'm pretty sure that such a feat can be achieved with a scheme
function, but i have little expertise writing them.  Maybe some of the
Schemers on the list will help you.

> I'm willing to settle for the left edge, if the right edge is too
> cumbersome to do. I manually right-justified the last syllables on one
> psalm, but hard right justification doesn't look good since it puts the
> right edge under the notehead. My concern with fractional right
> justification is that if it is proportional (setting the alignment to #0.5
> justifies halfway between center and right, relative to the width of the
> syllable), I'll still end up with a ragged line.

Hopefully in a future LilyPond version it will be possible to specify
an additional offset to alignment, so that you could right-align and
then move the syllables some fixed amount to the right.  I'm currently
working on this part of LilyPond, but i have no idea when my work will
be included in the main codebase.

best,
Janek