Re: the question of triplets

From: Hilary Snaden
Subject: Re: the question of triplets
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 14:25:33 +0100

On 27/04/13 05:02, David Kastrup wrote:

Sarah k Alawami<address@hidden>  writes:

Ok. I understand how triplets work. I've played them often enough lol!
but in lily pond according to the manual it says it's written in a
fraction. That's the part I don't get. I'm very horrible at math so is
there a way to comprehend these triplets.

Before version 2.17.11, the syntax is

\times 2/3 { c8 d e }

meaning that each written eighth note takes only two thirds of the time
that an eighth note usually would take.

That's too mathematical not just for you.  With version 2.17.11, the
documented and recommended syntax has changed to

\tuplet 3/2 { c8 d e }

which means that you get three tuplets in the time of two ordinary
notes.

Both are just different ways of saying the same, but apparently the
second way is much more natural to people.

After using LilyPond for seven years, I've got used to the \times x/y notation. How long will it remain available alongside \tuplet y/x?

So if you are using a
version of LilyPond earlier than 2.17.11, use \times and remember that
the fraction is just opposite of what you'd think it should be.

\tuplet y/x is more logical, and would have been a better way of doing it from the outset, but it's really not that difficult mentally to associate \times x/y with playing y notes in the time of x.

--
Hilary