Re: Enhancement request, add a new command to fill the rest of staff wit

From: ghe
Subject: Re: Enhancement request, add a new command to fill the rest of staff with blank space
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 13:32:30 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Ian,

I'd like to emphasize David's response about you continuing to user V2.14.2 in the long-term.

I never said that this is what I intend to do. I started to use LilyPond two weeks ago, and because I use Debian, I installed it with a simple "apt-get install lilypond", without checking if a newer version exists. When David told me about the difference of version, I already had a number of finalized scores (that are not for a long-term use, and moreover I'm more or less in a hurry). I tried to install 2.16.0, and I noticed that the overall layout of my scores had changed for worse. So I just downgraded the package. I know I could have asked for help, and/or could have submitted a bug report, but I did not have enough time to do so.

There is absolutely nothing stopping using V2.16.2 on Debian, as far as I know.

Indeed, 2.16.2 has been released a few days ago. Last time I checked (May 2th) it was 2.16.0.

There are several advantages and very few disadvantages to doing this:
o V2.16.2 is the latest stable release, if you do have a problem, it is easier
for developers to check it out and reproduce it than with a historic stable
release like 2.14.2.  This means that you're more likely to get a response here
or on the bugs list.
o Using V2.16.2 will make it easier to upgrade to future stable releases of
LilyPond.
o There are a load of enhancements in V2.16.2 which make LilyPond easier to use
and program, particularly in conjunction with some of the editors such as
Frescobaldi, LilyPondTool in JEdit, Eclipse, and even (Lord, help us) Emacs and
Vim.
o The V2.16.2 documentation's better and more complete even than the docs for
V2.14.2.
If there are some things that don't work the same way in 2.16.2, they are most
likely covered by using convert-ly.

I agree with all your points. I promise that I'll use 2.16.2 when possible. Please note that I'm an Emacs user, so I would have placed the "(Lord, help us)" elsewhere... ;-)

Please add a subject line to your posts. I'm breaking my own personal rule here that I don't generally reply to such posts. I've just had to spend extra time hunting down your original post to find out what it's about.

You will perhaps notice, if you look at my few posts on the mailing list ("Note between bars", "Two questions", "Breathes placement", "Set midi volume per voice?", "Modern custodes?"), that there is only one without a subject, namely the one you are replying to. I just forgot to add one, I'm sorry for this.

Maybe you could give us a better indication of who you actually are? Most of us on the LilyPond lists are reasonably friendly and house-trained, and it feels more comfortable talking to a human name than a mailbox alias.

I'm sorry, I understand your point, but I don't really see how and why this could be helpful. I personally prefer a relative anonymity, given in particular that the posts on this list will be archived in the long term. This is quite natural on the Internet. Perhaps I should consider creating myself a new identity with a "real" first name? By the way, "ghe" is not shorter than "Ian", and can be pronounced (unlike "kvz" for example) ;-)

Best,

--ghe