Re: 17th century English kbd ornaments

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: 17th century English kbd ornaments
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:29:00 -0700

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> It would certainly be possible and fairly simple to create glyphs like
> this. We would need to be careful about naming, since a shake is
> generally something else.

There are indeed two quite different things both normally called
"shake", one more recent (stereotypically expected in a jazz-band
trumpet part) and the other less recent (a trill-like keyboard
ornament). People who aren't particularly jazz/pop oriented could
legitimately say that the jazz players were the ones who ought to have
been careful about naming, but that's "water under the bridge", as they
say. :) I guess both names "trill" and "shake" are already used for
signs in lilypond, so the keyboard ornament shake (if permanently added)
will need a special name. Hopefully something clear in meaning and not
too hard to type can be found... "keyboardshake" seems a bit long.

--
David R