Re: Writing "Mouvt" abbreviation of "Mouvement"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Writing "Mouvt" abbreviation of "Mouvement"
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:33:06 +0200

MarcM <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to write "Mouvt" the abbreviation of the french word "Mouvement"
> For some reason a whitespace is inserted between the 'v' and the 't'
> MouvtRubato.ly
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n148476/MouvtRubato.ly>

Why wouldn't it?  Separate expressions in a \line (which is what a
top-level markup is implicitly wrapped in) are separated by word space.
That's totally normal.  If you want to join some elements, use \concat,
like with
\concat { Mouv \raise #0.5 \small t }
or \concat { Mouv \super t }

Things may become clearer if you realize that
\markup { fee fie foe fum }
does not contain a single space, but rather four separate markup expressions.

Distinguish that from
\markup { "fee fie foe fum" }
which contains a single markup expression containing spaces.

So if you write
\markup { \huge { fee fie foe fum } }
this is the same as
\markup { \huge fee \huge fie \huge foe \huge fum }
or even
\markup { \huge fee\huge fie\huge foe\huge fum }
and will separate the expressions with _normal_ size spaces whereas
\markup { \huge "fee fie foe fum" }
or
\markup { \huge \line { fee fie foe fum } }
will use _huge_ spaces between words.

If you can't avoid having separate expressions (like when the second
expression starts with \raise), then you need to use something other
than the implicit \line, like \concat.

> \version "2.17.22"
>
> MouvtRubatoA = \markup{ Mouv\raise #0.5 {\small t} (Rubato)}
> MouvtRubatoB = \markup{ Mouv\super{t} (Rubato)}
>
> { \relative c'{
> c^\MouvtRubatoA
> }}
> { \relative c'{
> c^\MouvtRubatoB
> }}

The formatting leaves something to be desired.

--
David Kastrup